All-District Orchestra (ADO) is comprised of students in grades 5 and 6 from all of the district's elementary and middle schools. ADO is under the direction of Kevin Martin and assistant director Karen Kozak.
History of the All-District Orchestra
The All-District Orchestra is approximately 35 years old. The group has performed at the Minnesota Music Educator's Convention twice, has performed at the Minnesota Legislature, and at several Minnesota Twins home games. In 2014-2015, the ensemble launched some changes. Instead of a combined 5th & 6th Grade format, the group divided into the 5th Grade Philharmonia & the 6th Grade Sinfonia. The 2016-2017 school year will see these changes continue.
Here are a few details:
- All-District Orchestra rehearses each Monday from Sept. 26 - May 1.
- Rehearsals occur on these dates: 9/26, 10/3, 10/10, 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21, 11/28, 12/5, 12/12, 12/19, 1/9, 1/30, 2/6, 2/13, 2/27, 3/13, 3/20, 4/3, 4/10, 4/24, 5/1.
- Please note - there is no rehearsal on holiday or Staff Development Mondays.
- Rehearsal is canceled for weather only when the district cancels all after-school activities. Refer to the district website for this information.
- All rehearsals take place at Robbinsdale Middle School - 3730 Toledo Ave. N., near the intersection of Highway 100 and 36th Ave. N. in Robbinsdale. Rehearsals will be held in the RMS Band Room
- Sinfonia rehearsals run from 3:30 – 4:20 p.m. RMS students will stay at RMS and simply report to the Band Room. PMS students may ride a bus from PMS to RMS. The bus number will be determined after the beginning of the school year. An activity bus is available in the RMS attendance area, departing at 4:25.
- Philharmonia rehearsals run from 4:40 – 5:30 p.m. Due to the demand for buses and the large number of Elementary Schools, no buses are available and families must plan their own transportation.
- We will have brief parent meetings for both groups following rehearsals on Monday, Oct. 3 in the RMS Cafeteria. We will go over the information for the year, address questions, and allow parents the opportunity to turn in the registration form.
- Monday, September 26 – First rehearsal – Be there early to be tuned. Bring the three-ringed binder from your orchestra class to receive new music.
- Monday, October 3 – Parent information meeting after the first rehearsal – RMS Cafeteria.
- Monday, November 28 – Concert at Cooper High School Auditorium, 7:30 p.m. with the 281 Honors Orchestra. Rehearsal will proceed as usual, and then students will report to Cooper at 6:45.
- Tuesday, March 7 – Performance at Empty Bowls event at Cooper. Time TBA.
- Friday, April 21 – Performing Tour from 9:30 – 2:30 at elementary and middle schools.
- Monday, April 24 – Recording Session and Pizza Party from 3:30 – 6:30 p.m. (Robbinsdale Middle School). Sinfonia will record from 3:30 – 5:00 & Philharmonia will record from 5:15 – 6:45. A short pizza party will immediately follow each session.
- Monday, May 1 – Concert at Armstrong High School, 7:30 p.m. with the All-District Choir. Students should report to AHS by 6:45.
For more information, contact Kevin Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (763) 504-8855
Why offer special music groups?
After learning eighth, quarter, half and whole notes, second- and third-graders scored 100% higher than their peers who were taught fractions using traditional methods. (Neurological Research, 1999)
SAT scores for students who studied the arts more than four years were 59 points higher on verbal and 44 points higher on the math portion than students with no coursework or experience in the arts. (The College Board, Profile of SAT and Achievement Test Takers, 1995. Similar results appear in 2000, 2001 and 2002 reports.)